If you are a producer or a musician who wants to make music on the go, you need something that’s convenient and portable. However, since we are talking about possibly producing your next hit, you should bring something that would not sacrifice the sound quality.
PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2 USB is a USB 2.0 audio and MIDI interface that takes hardware and software combination to the next level. Together with your computer and the included license for Studio One Artist DAW software, you can perform a multitude of tasks – such as delaying effects and supplementing reverb – without the distracting high latency.
We are a professional reader-supported review site. You get our best product recommendations and we can receive small commissions from our affiliates at no cost to you. Win-Win!!
- Value-packed 2-channel USB 2.0 interface for personal and portable recording.
- 2 high-quality Class-A mic preamps make it easy to get a great sound.
- 2 high-headroom instrument inputs to record guitar, bass, and your favorite line-level devices, plus MIDI I/O.
- Studio-grade converters allow for up to 24-bit/96 kHz recording and playback.
- Comes with over $1000 worth of recording software including Studio One Artist, Ableton Live Lite, and Studio Magic plug-in suite.
*Price from: 2021-07-28 at 12:26 EST
- 24-bit/96kHzUSB 2.0 audio interface with recording capabilities.
- Features 2 combo mic/instrument inputs.
- Features 2 instrument inputs and 2 balanced main outputs.
- Features minimal latency monitoring with comprehensive signal processing care of Virtual StudioLive.
- Features over 50 Fat Channel DSP presets.
- Includes clip lights for all channels.
- Includes switchable phantom power.
- Includes MIDI input and output.
- Made with rugged metal enclosure.
- Includes Studio One Artist software with infinite track count.
One of the great features of this model is that it significantly minimizes the processing delay in the AudioBox VSL series which leads to reverb, EQ, effects, and dynamic processing without discernible delays. It also comes with superb StudioLive 16.0.2 Fat Channel dynamics processors and EQs that producers, recording engineers, and pro musicians use in their tracks.
Although the company did not create the initial effects-laden audio interface, they did tons of improvements at a heart-warming price. There are indeed interface companies that have supplemented their interfaces with EQ, compressors, and several effects but this particular model includes all those things along with an expander, high-pass filter, and limiter.
In addition, the VSL has drag and drop features that make loading, processing, and producing preset easier and simpler. Professional quality processing combined with user-friendly features, of course, leads users to greater results and loads of fun music.
This is a convenient, portable, and strong model that provides 2 front-panel microphone and instrument combo inputs with global phantom power and also offers 2 line-level outputs. It has a strong and rugged build due to its durable steel case that proves to be beneficial while you are on the road.
The VSL lets users process and mix easily from their desktop computers and offers editor and librarian functions as well so you can make and utilize presets with ease. The company has included a library of over 50 Fat Channel presets that include StudioLive mixers. These presets were produced by professional engineers and musicians and allow users to arrange dynamics processing easily.
The unit comes in a strong and durable steel case that makes it an ideal unit for travel. It would not get damaged easily therefore you can make music without any disruptions. It is an audio interface that operates well with all Windows and Mac audio recording software.
Although the company is known for producing a great line of products, this unit has its own drawbacks. It is not built to accommodate line-level inputs which make it restricted in terms of connecting keyboards, drum machines, synths, and even electric guitars with built-in preamps.
The Presonus AudioBox provides an obvious improvement when it comes to sound quality when measured against the majority of desktop computers’ built-in audio interfaces. It comes at a reasonable price and has features that you would typically see in professional recording gear. If you are in need of more inputs, the company has models with such features too such as the 44VSL and the 1818VSL.
This is a sensibly-priced audio interface that beginner musicians should invest in and it does not scrimp when it comes to sound quality. Now you won’t have to deal with inconvenient gadgets to take on the road while recording because this nifty portable unit would help ease your burden.